Oil and acylic paintings are protected with a layer of varnish and do not need glazing. Other artwork is usually put behind glass.
- Rolled glass is the cheapest but has imperfections that distort the image.
- Float glass is free of imperfections but more expensive
- ‘Non-reflective’ glass has an etched surface which diffuses the reflection but slightly dulls the image.
- Artscreen is plastic glazing. Has ultra violet filter, is shatterproof but easily scratched and expensive.
- Purified, coated glass transmits more light which improves clarity and minimises reflection. Looks wonderful but at horrendous cost.